Giving the right food to your dog sometimes depends on what kind of breed they are (and how old they are, too). Beagles, for example, are medium-sized dogs that need a balanced diet. They may find large-breed food too overwhelming and small-breed food too little, so you need a perfect balance. Their diet should be based on animal protein, such as chicken, fish, duck, and the like.
The amino acid is a common ingredient of most dog food that has enough nutrition. They can get stronger with these amino acids, which can help with their immune system as well as their coat health. This is why you may be looking for the best dog food for beagles that have most of those nutrients.
If your dog is a beagle, it can sometimes be hard to find the right mix of nutrients. Don’t worry, as, in this article, we’ll give you some suggestions for your canine friend!
- Our Product Reviews
- Things to Consider Before You Buy
Our Product Reviews
Here are our top picks for the best dog food for beagles:
Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet
Made with turkey as the first product or ingredient, this one can be a great source of protein. Since it has potatoes but no gluten, it can still be friendly for your dog’s stomach, especially if it’s sensitive.
It is also free from most grains, such as corn, wheat, soy, and is also free from dairy and eggs. If your dog has sensitivity with chicken and beef then this can be a great alternative recipe for them.
The ingredients also include pea fiber and pumpkin to balance out your dog’s nutrition and keep their digestive system on the right track.
What’s more, the dog food is packed with vitamins E and C to support your dog’s immune system plus the omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to keep their coat shiny and healthy most of the time.
Weruva Grain-Free Natural Dry Dog Food for All Life Stages
If you’re the pet owner who prefers a one-size-fits-all dog food, this one can be okay for every life stage, regardless of whether your beagle is a pup, an adult, or a senior.
It has a mix of pumpkin and seaweed to promote healthy digestion and gut health for dogs with sensitivities. It comes in a 24-lb. bag and has chicken, turkey, and salmon for the sources of protein. This one can be an option for you if you prefer no potatoes and still grain-free in its content.
It also has salmon oil and linoleic acid, which can keep your dog’s coat shiny and well-maintained. Since it is low in carbs, it can be a healthy diet plan for dogs that are not always active.
It is also free from fillers such as corn, soy, wheat, and GMOs so you know that you are feeding your dog with the right ingredients overall.
Weruva Dogs in The Kitchen Grain-Free
For dog owners who prefer canned wet food over kibble, you also have a choice from Weruva.
This 10-ounce can have chicken breast, which can be an easy source of protein for your beloved canine friend. It is also free from grain and gluten for your dog’s safety and gut health.
The food has been manufactured in BRC/USDA Approved Facilities so you can be sure of your dog’s nutrition. You can also order pouches at 2.8 ounces each instead of 10-ounce cans.
The formulation is also free from MSG, GMOs, and other fillers that may disrupt your dog’s health. Each can contain chicken that has been cage-free so they were responsibly-raised and free from carrageenan.
Included in the ingredients list is sunflower seed oil for healthier coat health as well as vitamin E for healthier skin.
CANIDAE PURE Real Salmon, Limited Ingredient
As the name implies, real salmon is the first ingredient in this recipe, which contains sweet potato.
If your dog is allergic to potato and wants a different kind of carbohydrate source, sweet potato can be your way to go. It is limited in ingredients so it can be okay for dogs with gut problems.
Each dry dog food pack is at 24 lbs. but you can also order from the many different sizes available.
The omega 6 & 3 fatty acids can help with their coat healthy and the whole formula can also be okay for all life stages. It is also free from corn, soy, and other fillers that may not be ideal for your dog’s tummy.
Among the natural ingredients included are sun-cured alfalfa, peas, and canola oil, which can help you in balancing your dog’s overall diet plan, especially with the peas.
It even has a menhaden fish meal to add to the salmon meal for more protein and seafood goodness.
Taste of the Wild High Protein Real Smoked Salmon
Yet another suggestion for salmon in dog food would be this one, which comes from a reputable brand and is grain-free.
It can be helpful for your beagle’s coat and skin due to the fatty acids and the antioxidants can also help them become free from most diseases.
It can be gentle to their gut as well due to the probiotics included. There are no artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives in this smoked salmon recipe, which also contains certain amounts of fruits and veggies to have a balanced diet. You can order this dog food in 5 lbs., 14 lbs., and 28 lbs. sizes of bags.
This is yet another recipe that focuses on sweet potatoes as the energy source or carbohydrate food in a dog food formula, so your dog might like it if regular potatoes aren’t their thing.
Things to Consider Before You Buy
In order to choose the best dog food for beagles, here are some FAQs you may need to know about first:
How do I choose the best dog food for beagles?
Here’s what you should look for when choosing good dog food for beagles:
- Balanced ingredients. When you are choosing one for your dog, it should be made with quality and balanced ingredients. Consider a mix of peas and the animal protein, such as chicken, salmon, and other meat products (just don’t pick meat by-products as an ingredient).
The key importance of balanced ingredients is that your dog has less likelihood of obesity plus they also get other nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, which can help with their immune system to protect them from getting sick too often.
- A specific animal is the first ingredient. Here are some common dog food ingredients that you may find best for your canine friend:
- Salmon – any fish such as salmon is probably the best one for beagles since they don’t get as much activity as other dogs. They are in between the big, active dog, and the small, lounging dog, so they need just the right amount of nutrients, especially protein. What’s more, salmon is good for the heart and for their coat health as well due to the presence of omega fatty acids.
- Chicken – we also picked chicken in this guide because most dogs will want to eat chicken in one way or another. It’s a natural instinct for dogs to like protein-rich meat, so why not? Take note that there are some beagles, however, that can be a bit sensitive to chicken, so you might want to offer them turkey instead. It’s also a way to get away from any possible meat by-products that aren’t from reliable chicken sources. Make sure the chicken source is from cage-free ones.
- Beef – normally, dogs will like beef, especially steak meals, so it can also be a great recipe to add to their diet. Beef is packed with a lot of nutrients so it can be too much in protein, but can still be given to beagles, nonetheless. Just make sure that the beef is from a reliable source and don’t give your dog too much protein if they are not always active.
- Turkey – yet another ideal food to give to beagles, turkey is an alternative to chicken. While not all countries have turkey due to the climate and weather problems, turkey can be a healthy source of protein for dogs that want a feast.
- Bison – also native only to the Americas, this ingredient is much regarded like beef, such that it is meant only for dogs that are inherently active. If your dog is often a sporting or contest dog or one that likes to play around, bison meat is also a good protein source, nonetheless.
- Not much fat content. Beagles get obese very fast as compared to other dogs. Therefore, it is sometimes necessary to look into the fat content of your dog food. Too much fat can definitely lead to obesity, especially since beagles don’t play around as often as other breeds do.
- All life stages. Any dog food that is ideal for all life stages can save you a lot of time in the long run. You don’t have to find one that’s for pups and for seniors because this dog food has it all covered. Beagles require a diet that is just fine so any dog food that is meant for this kind of case can be ideal for them.
- All breeds. Since the beagle is a middle-range dog breed, it can best for them to have dog food that’s both for small breeds and for large ones. This can ensure that your beagle gets just the right amount of nutrition since we did mention above that beagles can get overweight too fast.
- Carbohydrates that are easy to digest. Some beagles can be prone to digestive upsets. For this matter, you may want to pick food that is easy to digest and okay for their tummies. Consider dog food that has probiotics for a healthier gut or sweet potatoes that are far easier to digest than simple carbohydrates. They may also benefit from dog food that is free from grain and soy.
- Limited ingredients. As well all know today, many manufacturers take pride in limited ingredients dog food. This can be helpful for beagles that get obese too fast. Limited ingredients help them to only eat the healthy ones without extra fillers.
What are the benefits of feeding my beagles quality food?
Feeding your beagle quality dog food can:
- Increase their overall life span
- Help them fight obesity
- Give them a shinier coat and skin
- Reduce the likelihood of digestive upsets
- Keep them active with protein
How do I feed dog food for beagles?
To feed your dog, you just need to look into the instructions on the manual. For instance:
- Dry dog food such as kibble can be fed alone depending on how many times you feed your beagle. Don’t feed them too much to avoid overweight problems.
- Wet food that is canned can be mixed with dry dog food so that your dog gets an even mix. You can also add your regular kitchen favorites for your dog so that they also get raw food.
- You can also mix toppers with your dog food so that they can enhance the flavor a bit.
- For dog training, you can also give them some nice dog treats.
To wrap it up, our top pick for the best dog food for beagles is the Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet due to the fact that it is gluten-free and grain-free, making it ideal for dogs with sensitive stomachs. It’s also made with turkey as the first ingredient and as the main protein source so it can be an alternative to regular chicken or beef meals. It’s also packed with a lot of vitamins and minerals.
Other picks we made here are just as healthy, however, we chose Blue Buffalo due to the just-right amount of ingredients and nutrients that are okay for beagles, that are neither small or big dogs, but in between. We hope you find our picks and suggestions useful!