A Goldendoodle, which is a hybrid dog from a poodle and a golden retriever, is one of the most common “celebrity status” dogs due to being a toy breed that’s usually huggable and treated like a baby. This stems from the fact that they are cute!
However, with that said, Goldendoodles also have health problems that need to be addressed. For instance, they can be prone to hip problems, which can be worsened if they are overweight.
If your Goldendoodle itches often then that can also be a sign that they have skin allergies. In some cases, they may also be prone to bloating or gas problems.
This is why you may be looking for the best dog food for Goldendoodles. In this article, we bring you some of our personal favorite picks when it comes to feeding your cute little baby the best food that won’t bring their stomach to harm.
- Our Product Reviews
- Things to Consider Before You Buy
Our Product Reviews
Here are our top picks for the best dog food for Goldendoodles:
Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
This is our best pick for Goldendoodles because of the just-right balance of nutrients and vitamins inside. Its main ingredient is chicken while it also has potatoes and peas for carbohydrates and energy sources. It has 3 bag sizes: 24, 11, and 4 lbs.
What’s more, it also has omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which can help with your dog’s coat health – no more dull and itchy doodle skin! This would be important for dogs that compete in dog shows. Since it is gluten-free, it won’t cause your dog to have digestive upsets all the time.
The LifeSource bits can help with adding antioxidants for your dog to easily absorb nutrients from food for their overall health. Plus, it is also available in beef and lamb recipes for dogs that don’t like chicken that much. The dog food is made without any artificial preservatives or grains.
Wellness Core Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Yet another one for the small breeds like the Goldendoodle, we picked this one since it has chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine hydrochloride – both of which are important in your dog’s joint and hip health. As we mentioned above, doodles can be prone to hip dysplasia so this can be a preventive measure.
It also has 54% protein, which comes from the deboned turkey that is the first ingredient in the pack. It was made without any artificial flavors, fillers, meat by-products, or preservatives to become gentle enough for your dog’s tummy. Plus, it even ha salmon oil and flaxseed oil, which can help with your dog’s coat and skin health.
The ingredients included in this dog food are made in the USA, without any GMOs and is also free from fillers such as soy, wheat, corn, and the like.
Particular Paws Glucosamine for Dogs – Treats
If your doodle is suffering from really bad joint and hip problems, this may be a good dog treat pack for them. It has 65 soft chews so that even senior dogs can eat it just fine. The dog treats can be helpful in restoring bone loss as well as preventing hip problems from occurring.
Doodles with hip dysplasia can benefit from this all-natural dog treat, without any chemicals artificial flavors, fillers, dyes or other questionable ingredients. It comes in a pack that can be resealed so it is easy to keep and give to your dog.
The ingredients include glucosamine for joint health, MSM for connective tissues, and chondroitin for joint movements. The glucosamine comes from natural shellfish so you know its ingredients come from nature.
Taste of the Wild High Protein with Real Roasted Lamb
If you ever wonder if Taste of the Wild is okay for doodles, then yes, it is! This is because they are made with probiotics, which can help with your dog’s digestive system since Goldendoodles can be prone to bloating as well.
It has easy ingredients like chia seeds and quinoa so it can also be a protein source for dogs that are often active.
Its first ingredient is roasted lamb so it can be an alternative to chicken. It has been made without any artificial preservatives, colors, flavors, and the like.
The company is also family-owned and reputable so it can be a little more natural and better than the typical commercial brands.
Also, it’s worth noting that the ingredients of this natural dog food passed the U.S. AAFCO and FDA requirements for safety.
Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Natural Adult Wet Dog Food
If your dog gets sick with kibble all the time, why not add beef dinner to their main course? This wet canned food from Blue Buffalo was made with garden veggies so that your dog gets balanced nutrition. You can also feed this with other dog food due to its texture.
This dog food has been made without any animal by-product and it has no artificial flavors, preservatives, soy, corn, or wheat, so it can be tummy-friendly for your canine friend.
Each can is at 12.5 ounces and its textures and cuts mimic the ones that are cooked at home. It can be okay for puppies, adults, and senior dogs alike.
Aside from that, we also found out that it has flaxseed for omega 3 fatty acids while it even has sweet potatoes to make it easy to digest while still giving carbohydrate source for your dog.
Things to Consider Before You Buy
Before you buy the best dog food for Goldendoodles, you may want to know about the following first:
Why should my Goldendoodle be fed with quality dog food?
Your Goldendoodle may look happy, but sometimes, they need nutritional requirements. For instance:
- They get hip dysplasia more often. The problem is that these dogs were born to have a higher chance of getting hip problems. The problem becomes worse if your dog also has weight management issues. Aside from the vet’s advice and medicine, it is also important that your dog food should be just right for them and contains the right of nutrients for their joint health.
- Most are prone to bloating. Bloating sometimes happens if your dog eats up too fast or sometimes eats unnecessary fillers. You should get rid of these fillers by choosing higher quality dog food.
- They could have a coat and skin allergies. Preservatives can sometimes be at fault for food allergies that can damage your dog’s skin. The solution: pick dog foods with omega fatty acids.
- They may be prone to weight problems. As a small breed, Goldendoodles tend to face obesity more often than other dogs, causing their hip dysplasia to worsen, actually.
What should I look for in the best dog food for Goldendoodles?
- Glucosamine and chondroitin. This is for their hip problems and it can also strengthen their joints.
- Just the right amount of calories. Since they can be prone to obesity, you should feed them with the right amount of dog food per day. The best way to go is about 330 per day for adults and 400 to 600 for puppies.
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. These can help with your dog’s flare-ups, allergies, and other skin problems and also enhance their shiny coat.
- Grain-free and no fillers. This can help your dog not to have too much bloating so they can chow down easily and happily.
- No artificial preservatives. Dogs with sensitive guts also benefit from natural dog food without artificial ingredients.
- No animal by-products. If you ensure that your dog food comes from real meat (e.g. chicken or beef) then they will get the right amount of protein for their daily needs.
How do I feed dog food for Goldendoodles?
Feeding Goldendoodles depend on your vet’s advice since they can still be prone to many health problems, including bloating. It’s best to feed them with small amounts but more frequently since they are a small dog with limited stomach space.
They can eat up both kibble and wet, canned food, just like any regular dog. However, it is important to watch for the ingredients that they are eating and a note of any allergies that they may develop depending on the food that you serve them.
To wrap it up, our top pick for the best dog food for Goldendoodles is the Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Natural Adult Dry Dog Food because it has a balance of food ingredients that can make your doodle healthy. For instance, potatoes and peas are for carbohydrates and energy sources and the chicken ingredient as the first meat as the protein source. It is made without artificial anything so it can be good for your dog’s stomach.
While other dog foods that we picked here are also worthy, this one gets our attention not only because of the raving reviews of doodle owners out there but also because of its perfect balance of ingredients. We hope you liked our top picks for the best dog food for Goldendoodles!