Valve problems are the most common type of heart issues in dogs.
They are congenital, which means your pup was most likely born with the conditions, and they are characterized by heart murmurs.
There are many kinds of heart murmurs that range from mild to fatal. For a definitive diagnosis, have a vet do the checkup.
You can positively improve your dog’s heart health with a vet prescription diet.
Several brands of dog food produce nutrition for a heart murmur. But you can’t know for sure which diet is best for your pup until you do a little research.
In our top five selections, we took into account all the essential nutrients that a heart murmurs diet must-have.
- The Best Dog Foods for Heart Murmur Are:
- 1. Iams ProActive Health Adult MiniChunks Dry Dog Food – Best Overall
- 2. Purina ONE SmartBlend Chicken & Rice Adult Formula Dry Dog Food – Best Natural Ingredients
- 3. Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Early Cardiac Dry Dog Food – Best Vet Recommended Diet
- 4. Taste of the Wild w/ Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food – Best #1 Ingredient
- 5. Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d Heart Care with Chicken Canned Dog Food – Best Wet Diet
- 6. Taste of the Wild High Protein Dry Dog Food with Real Roasted Lamb
- Different Types of Heart Conditions
- Helpful Precautions To Improve The Cardiac Health Of Your Dog
- Buying Guide: Things to Look for When Buying Dog Food for Heart Murmur
- Final Thoughts
Our Top Pick
The Iams ProActive Health Adult MiniChunks Dry Dog Food is our best overall dog nutrition for a heart murmur and the most recommended choice by most dog parents.
This diet has proven to be very effective at promoting a healthy heart and optimal blood pressure.
The Best Dog Foods for Heart Murmur Are:
1. Iams ProActive Health Adult MiniChunks Dry Dog Food – Best Overall
Iams ProActive contains a variety of quality ingredients with nutrients that are tailored to suit the needs of your best pal, including a healthy immune system and strong cardiac health.
- Dried beet pulp
- Chicken by-product meal
- Ground whole grain corn
- Ground whole grain sorghum
The mini chunks are formulated to nourish your active pooch with prebiotics and essential nutrients for a healthy body and heart function.
This diet contains the L-carnitine amino acid, which helps your pup’s body generate energy for supporting healthy heart function, brain development, and muscle movement.
The #1 ingredient in this diet is chicken, which is a source of lean meat that provides lots of energy without a big calorie count.
Another important aspect of this food is the low sodium content, which helps to maintain optimal blood pressure to maintain normal heart, liver, and kidney function.
But the thing is, the chicken by-product meal in the diet might trigger some allergic reactions in sensitive dogs.
- L-carnitine boosts healthy heart and brain function
- Diet provides lots of energy without too many calories
- Low sodium content maintains optimal blood pressure
- Probiotics help keep your gut in good working order
- Chicken by-product meal may be allergic for some pooches
This amazing diet from Iams will not just boost your dog’s energy levels, but it will also improve her heart and brain function as well as muscle movement.
2. Purina ONE SmartBlend Chicken & Rice Adult Formula Dry Dog Food – Best Natural Ingredients
Help your best furry friend avoid heart murmur with the Purina One SmartBlend.
It has the perfect combination of natural ingredients with chicken being the first ingredient.
- Chicken (first ingredient)
- Corn gluten meal
- Rice flour
- Chicken by-product meal
- Whole grain corn
This tasty meal comes with chicken as the first ingredient, which is great because it supplies your pup with lots of nutrients and energy for heart, skin, and coat care.
Chicken and chicken by-product meal are great sources of glucosamine, a great natural supplement that improves joint mobility by reducing joint pain and inflammation.
This formula has a dual-defense antioxidant blend that plays a big role in protecting your dog from the damage that is caused by free radicals.
The formula is also packed with vitamin E, which is a fat-soluble vitamin that helps with the formation of red blood cells and supports overall immune function.
But the thing is, the quality control of the food is questionable. The nutrient content of the first bag may differ from the next one.
- Contains energy-rich chicken as the first ingredient
- Vitamin E helps boost the overall immune function
- Glucosamine does a great job of improving joint mobility
- Omega 6 ensures the dog has a healthy skin and coat
- A great choice for heart, kidney, liver, skin, and coat care
- Lacks consistent quality control
- The chicken by-product may not be ideal for allergic pooches
If you’re looking for a commercial dog food that can do more than alleviate and prevent heart murmur, then the Purina ONE SmartBlend Chicken & Rice Adult Formula Dry Dog Food is the real deal.
3. Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Early Cardiac Dry Dog Food – Best Vet Recommended Diet
This vet-recommended diet from Royal Canin is highly palatable, digestible, balanced, and complete with nutrients that improve cardiovascular function.
- Brewer’s rice (first ingredient)
- Chicken meal
- Chicken fat
- Fish meal
- Soy protein isolate
- Natural flavors
The formula features brewer’s rice, which is an excellent source of proteins and minerals for boosting your dog’s energy levels.
The food has chicken fat that provides a more concentrated source of energy than carbohydrates or protein and also contributes to the food’s palatability and texture.
The formula contains important long-chain omega 3 fatty acids (docosahexaenoic and eicosapentaenoic) for supporting healthy heart function.
This diet also contains good amounts of taurine, carnitine, and arginine amino acids, which support neurological development and optimal cardiac health.
According to the guaranteed analysis, this food contains a moderate amount of sodium (0.33%), but it could be better with a lower amount.
- Complete, balanced, and highly digestible
- Chicken fat improves texture and palatability
- Long-chain omega 3 fatty acids support a healthy heart
- Taurine, carnitine, and arginine amino acids boost cardiac health
- The vet recommended dog food
- Could be better with a much lower amount of sodium
This diet is great for building the immune system of your young dogs against heart murmur and great for helping your senior pup overcome the condition.
4. Taste of the Wild w/ Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food – Best #1 Ingredient
Do you want to give your dog a meal that does not only support heart health, but also a meal that stands the test of time? Try Taste of the Wild with Ancient Grains.
- Lamb and lamb meal
- Cracked pearled barley
- Dried yeast
- Grain sorghum
Taste of the Wild provides real meat (lamb) as the first ingredient, which is a great protein option for canines because it offers plenty of energy.
Lamb is packed with essential amino acids and is a good source of dietary fats, which helps sustain energy.
This diet also features a lamb meal, a rendered version of the meat that contains less water. It is higher in protein and a better choice for pups with food sensitivities.
With omega 3 fatty acids, taurine, and L-carnitine, this Taste of the Wild diet with Ancient Grains is suitable for supporting heart health in dogs that are prone to a heart murmur.
But the thing is, some ingredients in the food may be sensitive to allergic dogs, especially those with sensitive stomachs.
- Lamb meat offers plenty of energy
- Supports cardiac health to prevent a heart murmur
- Amino acids in the diet are sustainable sources of dietary fats
- Proprietary probiotics support overall health
- Some ingredients may be sensitive to allergic dogs
If you have a picky dog, this diet from Taste of the Wild will please her. It is packed with nutrients for energy, a healthy heart, and a healthy immune system.
5. Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d Heart Care with Chicken Canned Dog Food – Best Wet Diet
If you are looking for a food that supports cardiac health and helps alleviate heart murmur, the Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d with chicken is a great option.
- Pork liver
- Whole grain corn
Is your pup suffering from poor heart health, such as heart murmur? Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d is formulated to help.
This canned formula is low in sodium, which is great because this helps to maintain normal blood pressure, while high levels of L-carnitine support healthy heart function.
This diet contains clinically proven antioxidants, including vitamin E and vitamin C for boosting the immune system and protecting vital kidney function.
Another good thing about this diet that your dog will admire is the protein-rich chicken and hypoallergenic chicken flavor.
But here is the thing, you can’t just buy this diet from the store or online without a prescription from the vet.
- Low sodium levels help maintain optimal blood pressure
- Contains antioxidants that are clinically proven
- Has optimum levels of phosphorus and protein
- It’s L-carnitine and taurine packed for healthy heart function
- Does a great job of minimizing fluid retention
- Must have a vet’s prescription to order
You can guarantee your senior dog a heart murmur free life with this diet. But you must have a prescription to make an order.
6. Taste of the Wild High Protein Dry Dog Food with Real Roasted Lamb
Taste Of The Wild High Protein is pet food that is a combination of real roasted lamb and ancient grains. It is available in two flavors of Roasted Lamb with Ancient Grains and Roasted Lamb Grain Free.
It contains ingredients from trusted and reliable sources to maintain the highest quality. It does not contain wheat and corn fillers, or artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
Taste of the Wild High Protein is a highly digestible best dog food for heart murmur since it contains proprietary probiotics that are specifically made for canines.
Made in the USA, Taste of the Wild High Protein is a protein-rich low sodium dog food for a heart murmur.
- The product has great flavor and smell. Almost all of the dog breeds love it. It is dry dog food for dogs with a heart murmur that does not need salt with 25% protein. Low calorie, but highly nutritious.
- Perfect for dogs that have chronic diarrhea or skin allergies. It helped cure our dog’s dandruff. The stool also firmed up after two week’s consumption.
- Perfect for dogs that have a range of allergies since it doesn’t have any artificial ingredients and fillers.
- We prefer the grain-free version of Taste of the Wild High Protein. The Roasted Lamb with Ancient Grains happens to give gas to our chihuahua. You can test the product with other breeds, or switch to the old, grain-free version.
Different Types of Heart Conditions
Heart Murmur in Dogs
A heart murmur is caused by the disturbance in the normal blood flow of the dog’s heart. A vet can identify the abnormal swooshing noise through a stethoscope.
In a normal condition, you will only be able to hear two sounds the ‘lub’ and ‘dub’ which occur on the closing and opening of heart valves.
CHF in dogs
Congestive Heart Failure is the heart’s inability to normally pump blood in the body. It helps the blood to stay in the lungs of the dog, while the fluid gathers up in the organ to cause the heart and the lungs to malfunction.
It is important to note that CHF is more of a heart complication than cardiovascular disease. Dogs suffering from CHF may experience:
- Problems in breathing normally.
- Unexplained weakness and lethargy
- Issues in exercising
Diet plans for heart failure and heart conditions are entirely different and should not be confused together to avoid any harm or negligence. It is wise to consult an experienced vet to meet the different medical requirements.
This also explains why it’s a challenge to maintain a diet plan for dogs suffering from heart diseases. Many pet owners are left to wonder how and which commercial diet to choose from. After all, what is the best dog food for heart murmur?
In this blog, we’ll talk about the best dog food for a heart murmur and share several dog food for heart murmur reviews in depth.
But before we proceed to the best dog foods, there are a few considerations and precautions you need to keep in mind. These precautionary guidelines and tips will help ease the situation at hand.
Helpful Precautions To Improve The Cardiac Health Of Your Dog
The following are some precautions that you can take to relieve a pooch of a cardiac condition to avoid serious cardiac disorders like heart failures.
Optimum Body Weight
Dogs suffering from heart diseases and conditions lose weight differently than normal dogs. A healthy dog doesn’t lose weight right away. But on the contrary, the healthy body uses up the fat reserves before losing the muscle mass.
Dogs suffering from heart murmur may experience a loss of appetite and may significantly lose weight in CHF. The extreme loss in lean body mass may lead to weakened immunity, depleted energy levels, and may also result in a shorter life span.
Vets and expert nutritionists do not recommend following a protein-restricted diet. Lesser intake of protein may actually support the acute loss of muscle mass.
This type of practice will only shorten the lifespan of your canine and decrease survival times. It is recommended to rich a moderately rich protein-based diet on a day-to-day basis.
Low Sodium Levels
It is wise to maintain a moderately low intake of sodium on a daily basis. Human snacks that contain high levels of sodium like chips, cheese, crackers deli meat, and hot dogs should be avoided at all costs because they affect the blood flow.
It is best to avoid all kinds of processed and canned food.
Many dog foods in the market are full of salts and could be replaced with fresh vegetables, fruits, and meat. It is recommended to carefully read the dietary contents on the back of the packages before purchasing products.
The market has some amazing dry dog food for dogs with a heart murmur that does not need salt. It is highly advised to follow a fixed salt intake each day to maintain a specific level that your dog is familiar with.
Buying Guide: Things to Look for When Buying Dog Food for Heart Murmur
Not every diet that is said to be effective for managing heart problems in dogs is genuine.
There are a few things that you need to take into account to find the ideal nutrition.
Here is what we urge every dog parent to consider:
Prescription Dog Food
Unlike a commercial diet, a prescription or therapeutic dog food is specifically formulated to meet the needs of your pup’s heart.
The key benefit of prescription diets is that they are clinically studied and proven. Not to mention that they are vet-approved.
Read the Labels
Good nutrition for promoting your dog’s heart health begins with knowing what’s in the bag.
The single most important step to becoming an informed consumer is to read and understand the labels. The first label to explore is the ingredients list.
Pay close attention to the first ingredient in the list. It is usually the main protein source. The ingredients are listed concerning their weights in descending order.
So, if the chicken is the first ingredient, then the assumption is that there is more chicken in the food than anything else.
This is important to know when looking for ingredients that may not necessarily be harmful to your pup, but should only be present in small amounts.
Then the next important label is the guaranteed analysis. This panel provides you with crucial info on min crude protein, min crude fat, max crude fiber, and max moisture.
This panel also provides info on nutrients, such as min calcium, min vitamin E, min omega 3 fatty acids, and min omega 6 fatty acids among other nutrients.
Key Nutrients for a Healthy Dog Heart
This nutrient does a great job of supporting a healthy immune system. The boosted immune system ensures that your dog’s heart functions optimally.
Ingredients that are rich in vitamin A include sweet potatoes, carrots, and leafy green veggies.
This antioxidant plays a big role in supporting healthy heart function. It does a great job of scavenging for harmful free radicals.
Also, it reduces cognitive aging and inflammation. The most popular sources of this antioxidant are broccoli, kale, and berries.
This is another important antioxidant that your pal needs. It helps to fight free radicals and with the formation of red blood cells.
It also supports the overall immune system.
This is a water-soluble amino acid that is very beneficial to your dog’s heart, kidney, and blood.
It regulates the level of minerals and water in the blood as well as supports neurological development.
This is a conditionally essential vitamin-like nutrient that has an essential role in fatty acid metabolism and supporting a healthy heart.
It also plays an important role in weight management.
The overall winner of this category is the Iams ProActive Health Adult MiniChunks Dry Dog Food, which is packed with seven essential nutrients that are crucial for a healthy heart.
Unlike most ordinary dog nutrition, this diet features select natural ingredients along with added minerals and vitamins.
The diet also features a customized mix of carbohydrates and protein to keep your pup energized and healthy, while enriched antioxidants ensure her immune system functions properly.
Additionally, this amazing diet is high in fiber for a healthy digestive system and omega 6 fatty acids for cell formation and cell membrane structure required to boost the immune system.