If you believe your dog might be showing signs of a cardiac condition like heart murmur, ensure that you avoid negligence and focus on the diet and physical activities of your poodle.
If the last checkup has provided solid evidence that your furry canine might be prone to congestive heart failure or any other heart condition, then we recommend to start off the health regime by choosing the best dog food for a heart murmur.
Cardiovascular disorders affect dogs differently than how they would affect humans. And they must be treated with timeliness and caution.
Let’s first shed light on what’s exactly a heart murmur. And ways you can identify and differentiate between heart failures and heart conditions.
- Different Types of Heart Conditions
- Helpful Precautions To Improve The Cardiac Health Of Your Dog
- Best Dog Food For Heart Murmur
Different Types of Heart Conditions
HEART MURMUR IN DOGS
A heart murmur is caused by the disturbance in the normal blood flow of the dog’s heart. A vet can identify the abnormal swooshing noise through a stethoscope.
In a normal condition, you will only be able to hear two sounds the ‘lub’ and ‘dub’ which occur on the closing and opening of heart valves.
CHF IN DOGS
Congestive Heart Failure is the heart’s inability to normally pump blood in the body. It helps the blood to stay in the lungs of the dog, while the fluid gathers up in the organ to cause the heart and the lungs to malfunction.
It is important to note that CHF is more of a heart complication than cardiovascular disease. Dogs suffering from CHF may experience:
- Problems in breathing normally.
- Unexplained weakness and lethargy
- Issues in exercising
Diet plans for heart failure and heart conditions are entirely different and should not be confused together to avoid any harm or negligence. It is wise to consult an experienced vet to meet the different medical requirements.
This also explains why it’s a challenge to maintain a diet plan for dogs suffering from heart diseases. Many pet owners are left to wonder how and which commercial diet to choose from. After all, what is the best dog food for heart murmur?
In this blog, we’ll talk about the best dog food for a heart murmur and share several dog food for heart murmur reviews in depth.
But before we proceed to the best dog foods, there are a few considerations and precautions you need to keep in mind. These precautionary guidelines and tips will help ease the situation at hand.
As a pet owner, your goal should be to buy low sodium dog food for a heart murmur. It is best to buy dog food that helps:
- Maintain ideal body weight and muscle mass
- Meet all the nutritional requirements to improve deficiencies
- Offer supplemental ingredients that improve the health of the heart
- Maintain moderate salt consumption
Helpful Precautions To Improve The Cardiac Health Of Your Dog
The following are some precautions that you can take to relieve a pooch of a cardiac condition to avoid serious cardiac disorders like heart failures.
OPTIMUM BODY WEIGHT
Dogs suffering from heart diseases and conditions lose weight differently than normal dogs. A healthy dog doesn’t lose weight right away. But on the contrary, the healthy body uses up the fat reserves before losing the muscle mass.
Dogs suffering from heart murmur may experience a loss of appetite and may significantly lose weight in CHF. The extreme loss in lean body mass may lead to weakened immunity, depleted energy levels, and may also result in a shorter life span.
Vets and expert nutritionists do not recommend following a protein-restricted diet. Lesser intake of protein may actually support the acute loss of muscle mass.
This type of practice will only shorten the lifespan of your canine and decrease survival times. It is recommended to rich a moderately rich protein-based diet on a day-to-day basis.
LOW SODIUM LEVELS
It is wise to maintain a moderately low intake of sodium on a daily basis. Human snacks that contain high levels of sodium like chips, cheese, crackers deli meat, and hot dogs should be avoided at all costs because they affect the blood flow. It is best to avoid all kinds of processed and canned food.
Many dog foods in the market are full of salts and could be replaced with fresh vegetables, fruits, and meat. It is recommended to carefully read the dietary contents on the back of the packages before purchasing products.
The market has some amazing dry dog food for dogs with a heart murmur that does not need salt. It is highly advised to follow a fixed salt intake each day to maintain a specific level that your dog is familiar with.
Best Dog Food For Heart Murmur
Supermarkets and online stores have a wide variety of commercial pet foods that meet daily and specific dietary requirements of dogs. We recommend keeping a lookout for low sodium dog food for a heart murmur. It is best to choose pet food that has Omega 3 fatty acids as supplementary nutrients.
We have shortlisted three high-quality dog food for a heart murmur. You can get useful insights into the respective advantages and disadvantages based on reliable dog food for heart murmur reviews by us.
Taste of the Wild High Protein Dry Dog Food with Real Roasted Lamb
Taste Of The Wild High Protein is pet food that is a combination of real roasted lamb and ancient grains. It is available in two flavors of Roasted Lamb with Ancient Grains and Roasted Lamb Grain Free.
It contains ingredients from trusted and reliable sources to maintain the highest quality. It does not contain wheat and corn fillers, or artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
Taste of the Wild High Protein is a highly digestible best dog food for heart murmur since it contains proprietary probiotics that are specifically made for canines.
Made in the USA, Taste of the Wild High Protein is a protein-rich low sodium dog food for a heart murmur.
Things We Liked:
- The product has great flavor and smell. Almost all of the dog breeds love it. It is dry dog food for dogs with a heart murmur that does not need salt with 25% protein. Low calorie, but highly nutritious.
- Perfect for dogs that have chronic diarrhea or skin allergies. It helped cure our dog’s dandruff. The stool also firmed up after two week’s consumption.
- Perfect for dogs that have a range of allergies since it doesn’t have any artificial ingredients and fillers.
Things We Didn’t Like:
- We prefer the grain-free version of Taste of the Wild High Protein. The Roasted Lamb with Ancient Grains happens to give gas to our chihuahua. You can test the product with other breeds, or switch to the old, grain-free version.
JustFoodForDogs Pantry Fresh Dog Food – Chicken & Beef Flavors
A highly rich and low sodium dog food for a heart murmur, the Pantry Fresh Dog Food is 100% USDA Certified and JFFD’s vet-developed product. It is human-grade pet food that has the highest quality products and whole grain.
The product is manufactured, cooked, and packaged by veterinarian developed & approved processes. It does not contain GMOs, BHA, BHT, artificial colorings, and preservatives. JFFD’s Pantry Fresh Dog Food is available in two flavors of Beef & Russet Potato and Chicken & White Rice.
Things We Liked:
- This product is perfect for senior pet owners who can’t cook their dogs’ meals every day. The frozen food tasted nice and smelled delicious. Our Labradors had lost their appetite. This product helped regain back their appetite. Very wholesome!
- The PantryFresh is the best dog food for a heart murmur. It is easy and soft to chew. Our old retriever doesn’t have many teeth and he loves eating this product.
- We love both the nonperishable and frozen products for their immaculate freshness. This product is a perfect alternative for homemade food.
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Keeping its wholesomeness aside, the smell of the product did not sit well with our canines. Some of our dog breeds did not like the look and smell of the food.
IMK9 Natural Training Treats Low Calorie – Limited Ingredients Made in USA –GMO, Grain, Gluten Free
IMK9 Natural Training Treats Low Calorie is an Award winning low calories and low sodium dog food for a heart murmur. It contains only the finest human-grade ingredients that offer delicious and healthy treats for your pooch.
The product is made in the USA and does not have any preservatives, artificial colorings, GMOs, grains, and gluten. The company also facilitates a money-back guarantee on all of its products. The treats are a rich source of fiber and antioxidants. They are soy, wheat, and gluten-free.
Things We Liked:
- Not just our dogs but we are also big fans of these treats because they smell deliciously good! We recommend the Coconut/Apple because they are so rich in flavors and wholesome.
- Our corgi is very specific about treats and has a sensitive tummy. He loves the IMK9 Treats during training and at other times during the day. These treats are perfect for dogs with allergies and sensitivity since they have limited ingredients.
- The treats have a very soft texture and can be broken in two halves. This helps us to control our dogs’ treat consumption during training
Things We Didn’t Like:
- They are very delicious, but we keep running out of them too quickly. It would be highly preferable if the product came in larger packets and more quantity.
The best dog food for heart murmur for us was the IMK9 Natural Training Treats! Apart from the drawback that the product comes in a lesser quantity, we have not experienced either heard of any serious or minor health issues triggered by it.
We truly love the freshness, smell, taste, and texture of these wholesome and delicious treats! They are the most pocket-friendly dog food from the lot and have zero side effects on the health of your darling furry friend!